- 1 kg fresh rice noodles (see note)
- 150 gm tofu puffs (see note)
- To serve: Vietnamese mint, purple basil and coriander
- To serve: thinly sliced spring onions
- To serve: coarsely chopped roast peanuts
- To serve: fried shallots
- 60 ml lime juice (¼ cup)
- 60 ml fish sauce (¼ cup)
- 60 ml rice vinegar (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1For nuoc cham, combine ingredients in a small bowl, stir to dissolve sugar and set aside.
- 2Cook noodles in boiling salted water until al dente (1-2 minutes), drain, refresh under cold running water and drain well.
- 3Divide noodles among serving bowls, then arrange tofu puffs, herbs and spring onion in bowls. Drizzle with nuoc cham, scatter with peanuts and shallots and serve.
Fresh rice noodles and tofu puffs are available from Asian grocers.
This recipe is from the January 2011 issue of