- 225 gm firm ricotta, drained
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 30 ml orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 1 egg and egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 orange, rind finely grated
- 75 gm plain flour (½ cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- Figs, to serve
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Honey, for drizzling
- 1Mix ricotta, sugar, liqueur, egg, orange rind and a pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth, then mix in flour and baking powder.
- 2Heat 3cm oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; test that it’s come to temperature by dropping in a little ricotta mixture in – the mixture should bubble and rise to the surface and turn golden. Carefully spoon tablespoonfuls of batter into oil in batches, and shallow-fry, turning occasionally, until golden (1-2 minutes). Drain on paper towels and serve with figs, dusted with icing sugar and drizzled with honey.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm