Perfectly traditional? No. Tasty? Oh, yes.
- 350 gm dried rigatoni
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 gm smoky pancetta or guanciale, cut into lardons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 gm finely grated pecorino
- 50 gm finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra, to serve
- 1Cook pasta in a large saucepan of generously
salted boiling water until al dente (5-8 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over
medium-high heat, add pancetta and fry until
crisp (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and stir until
fragrant (30 seconds).
- 3Whisk eggs, yolks and cheeses in a bowl, and
season to taste.
- 4Drain pasta, reserving a little cooking water,
and return to pan off the heat. Add egg mixture,
toss well until thickened slightly and pasta is
evenly coated, adding a little reserved pasta water
to thin the sauce if necessary. Toss pancetta
through pasta, season thoroughly with black
pepper and serve scattered with extra parmesan.