- 3 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 golden shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- 100 gm cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp chervil sprigs
- 1 tbsp each finely chopped chives and basil
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Place asparagus on an oven tray in a single layer, drizzle with oil, scatter with lemon rind, season to taste and roast until tender (8-10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for sauce vierge, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add shallot, garlic and coriander seeds and stir occasionally until tender (1-2 minutes). Add tomatoes and vinegar, season to taste and keep warm. Just before serving, stir in herbs.
- 3Poach eggs in just simmering water until cooked to your liking (3 minutes for soft yolks), drain on absorbent paper and keep warm.
- 4Arrange asparagus on serving plates, top each with a poached egg, spoon sauce vierge over and serve warm.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am