- 12 baby beetroot, boiled, peeled and trimmed
- 1 cm olive oil
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 cup firmly packed rocket
- 1 pomegranate, seeds of
- 2 wedges of preserved lemon, flesh removed, rind cut into julienne
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm goat’s curd
- 50 gm walnuts (½ cup)
- 1½ tbsp icing sugar
- For shallow-frying: olive oil
- Pinch cayenne
Walnut and paprika dressing
- ½ cup walnut oil
- 2½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp chardonnay vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1For caramelised walnuts, cook walnuts in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes, drain, then pat dry on absorbent paper. Place walnuts and icing sugar in a bowl and toss to coat well. Heat 1cm oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add walnuts and cook for 2 minutes or until golden, then drain on absorbent paper. Season to taste and sprinkle with cayenne, then cool and chop coarsely.
- 2For walnut and paprika dressing, place oils in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until just lukewarm, then add paprika and stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add vinegar and lemon juice, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper and whisk to combine. Makes about 200ml.
- 3Place beetroot, tomatoes and rocket in a bowl, add ¼ cup walnut and paprika dressing, season to taste and toss to combine. Combine pomegranate seeds, chopped caramelised walnuts, preserved lemon and parsley in another bowl, add 2 tbsp dressing, season to taste and toss to combine. Divide beetroot mixture among bowls, then top with pomegranate mixture, a few small dollops of goat’s curd and drizzle with a little dressing and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: A robust and succulent young pinot noir from Tasmania.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am