Use whatever stale sourdough you have on hand for the panzanella - dark rye, for instance, will add extra complexity to this simple Tuscan tomato and bread salad.
- 80 ml olive oil (⅓ cup)
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2 ripe red or yellow oxheart tomatoes, cut into 4cm pieces
- 400 gm mixed heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 100 gm crustless day-old sourdough, torn
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup basil, plus extra to serve (firmly packed)
Anchovy and garlic dressing
- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 1½ tbsp aged red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Blitz oil, thyme, chilli and garlic in a food processor until combined and season to taste. Transfer to a bowl, add chicken, massage to coat well, then place skin-side up on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast until golden brown and juices run clear when thighs are pierced with a skewer (15-18 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, toss tomatoes, onion and sugar in a bowl and stand for 5 minutes to marinate. Add bread, cucumber and basil, toss to combine and season to taste. Set aside for flavours to combine (10 minutes).
- 3For anchovy and garlic dressing, process all ingredients in a blender until thick and season to taste. Toss with panzanella to coat and season to taste. Drizzle chicken with pan juices, scatter with extra basil and serve with panzanella.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am