Use whatever stale sourdough you have on hand for the panzanella - dark rye, for instance, will add extra complexity to this simple Tuscan tomato and bread salad.
- 80 ml olive oil (⅓ cup)
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2 ripe red or yellow oxheart tomatoes, cut into 4cm pieces
- 400 gm mixed heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 100 gm crustless day-old sourdough, torn
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup basil, plus extra to serve (firmly packed)
Anchovy and garlic dressing
- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 1½ tbsp aged red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Blitz oil, thyme, chilli and garlic in a food processor until combined and season to taste. Transfer to a bowl, add chicken, massage to coat well, then place skin-side up on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast until golden brown and juices run clear when thighs are pierced with a skewer (15-18 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, toss tomatoes, onion and sugar in a bowl and stand for 5 minutes to marinate. Add bread, cucumber and basil, toss to combine and season to taste. Set aside for flavours to combine (10 minutes).
- 3For anchovy and garlic dressing, process all ingredients in a blender until thick and season to taste. Toss with panzanella to coat and season to taste. Drizzle chicken with pan juices, scatter with extra basil and serve with panzanella.