By starting the chicken in the pan and finishing it in the oven you get golden, crisp skin and juicy flesh.
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 golden shallot, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp currants
- 4 chicken breasts (about 180gm each), wing bones attached, skin on
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp thyme leaves
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 400 gm canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 small inner celery stalks, thinly sliced, plus inner leaves
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1Soak currants in 2 tbsp boiling water until plump (15 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, blend vinegar, anchovies, garlic, shallot, 80ml oil, mustard and chilli in a food processor until smooth and season to taste.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Heat remaining oil in an ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, season chicken, then fry skin-side down, turning once, until golden brown (1-2 minutes each side). Add butter and thyme to pan, transfer to oven and roast until chicken is cooked through (7-8 minutes). Squeeze lemon over chicken, cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- 4Combine remaining ingredients and currants in a bowl, drizzle with dressing, reserving 2 tbsp, season to taste and toss to combine. Drizzle chicken with pan juices and serve with salad and reserved dressing.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am