- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tsp thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 400 gm Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 8 thick slices of rye bread
- 350 gm Gruyère, thinly sliced
- To serve: oregano
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Heat butter, oil, garlic, thyme and lemon rind in a small saucepan over low-medium heat until fragrant (1 minute), season to taste and set aside.
- 2Spread mushrooms on an oven tray, drizzle with half the butter mixture, season to taste and roast until tender and browned (15-20 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat. Toast bread for 1-2 minutes, turn, arrange Gruyère on top of bread and grill until bubbling (1-2 minutes).
- 4Top Gruyère toast with mushrooms, spoon remaining butter mixture over to taste, scatter with oregano and extra thyme, squeeze lemon juice over to taste and serve.