- 90 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 70 ml fino sherry
- ¼ tsp saffron threads
- 800 gm chat potatoes, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot chicken stock
- 2 each thyme and oregano sprigs, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 80 gm piquillo peppers, coarsely torn (see note)
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
- 50 gm (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in (about 160gm each)
- wild rocket salad (optional), To serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat 30ml oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes), add sherry and saffron, then potato, stock, herbs and 200ml water. Cover and bring to the boil, then uncover and cook until very tender and liquid is almost completely reduced (15-20 minutes). Season to taste, stir through piquillo peppers and lemon juice.
- 2Meanwhile, combine flour, paprika and lemon rind in a bowl and season to taste. Dust chicken with seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, add chicken, skin-side down, and brown well (3-4 minutes). Turn and roast in oven until cooked through (10-12 minutes). Serve hot, scattered with extra herbs, with saffron potatoes, piquillo peppers and wild rocket salad, if desired.
Piquillo peppers are available canned or in jars from select delicatessens.
This recipe is from the October 2009 issue of