- 150 ml maple syrup
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 30 gm butter, diced
- Juice of 1 orange, thinly peeled rind of ½
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 4 ripe pears, unpeeled
- Coarsely chopped roasted almonds, to serve
Vanilla crème fraîche
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 200 ml pouring cream
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean, or 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1Preheat oven to 240C. Combine maple syrup, sugar, butter, juices, rind and cinnamon in a roasting pan large enough to fit halved pears snugly in a single layer, and place in oven for butter and maple syrup to melt (1-2 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, halve pears and scoop out cores. Stir maple syrup mixture in roasting pan to combine, add pears cut-side down and roast, turning halfway through cooking, until tender and caramelised (20-25 minutes, depending on firmness of the fruit; check every 15 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for vanilla crème fraîche, whisk ingredients in a bowl to soft peaks. Serve pears topped with vanilla crème fraîche and almonds.