- 800gm small Jap pumpkin, cut into thin wedges
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 200gm firm ricotta
- 50gm Gruyère finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp each coarsely chopped thyme and flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 375 gm sheet butter puff pastry (see note)
- 6 thin slices round mild pancetta
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Baby kale leaves, to serve (see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Spread pumpkin on an oven tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with a little oil, season to taste and roast on top rack of oven until tender and browned (15-18 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, stir cheeses, egg, herbs and lemon rind in a bowl to combine, and season to taste.
- 3Cut pastry into four, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, score a 1cm border around each and dock inside the border with a fork. Spread cheese mixture over pastry inside the border and bake until puffed and golden brown (15-18 minutes). Place pancetta on a separate baking tray lined with baking paper and bake until crisp (4-5 minutes), then break into coarse pieces.
- 4Meanwhile, combine extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and lemon juice to taste in a jar, shake to combine and season to taste.
- 5To serve, top tarts with roast pumpkin, pancetta, baby kale and extra herbs and drizzle with dressing.
We prefer to use Carême puff pastry, which comes in 375gm sheets. If it’s unavailable, substitute another butter puff pastry. Baby kale is available from select supermarkets and greengrocers. If it’s unavailable, use regular kale torn into bite-sized pieces.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm