The sweet flavour of strawberries is intensified by briefly roasting them. You could serve them with ice-cream, but we prefer ours with crème fraîche and the fragrant burst of candied fennel seeds.
- 500 gm (2 punnets) strawberries, hulled (optional), halved
- 180 gm caster sugar
- Thinly peeled rind and juice of 1 lime
- To taste: Pernod
- To serve: crème fraîche
Candied fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tbsp Pernod
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Combine three-quarters of the strawberries with sugar, lime rind and juice, a splash of Pernod and 1 tbsp water in a roasting pan, toss to coat and spread out evenly. Roast until bubbling and just tender (5-6 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for candied fennel seeds, stir ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until seeds are toasted and candied (2-3 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 3Stir remaining strawberries into roast strawberries and serve warm or at room temperature topped with crème fraîche and scattered with candied fennel seeds.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am