Zhoug is a hot green sauce from Yemen that's often added to soups and stews for a fresh and fiery finish. Here we've paired it with sweet roasted pumpkin for a no-fuss side that's a winner with chicken.
- 1.2 kg Jap pumpkin, skin on, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Roasted sesame seeds (optional), to serve
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 3 long green chillies, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- ¾ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup (firmly packed) coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven grill to high. Place pumpkin wedges skin-side down on an oven tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with oil and toss to coat, then grill, turning occasionally, until golden, softened and slightly charred (20-22 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for zhoug, dry-roast caraway seeds in a frying pan over medium-high heat until fragrant (1 minute; see cook's notes p192). Coarsely crush with a mortar and pestle. Add chilli, garlic and remaining spices, season to taste and pound until broken down (1-2 minutes). Add coriander and half the oil, pound to break down leaves (30 seconds), then stir in lemon juice and remaining oil and season to taste. Serve pumpkin topped with zhoug and scattered with sesame seeds.