- 2 200 gm tuna steaks
- 400 gm baby green beans, trimmed, blanched and refreshed in iced water
- 2 cups firmly packed rocket
- 50 gm pinenuts, roasted
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 4 Japanese eggplants, peeled, with stem end intact
- 100 gm feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind only
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 chopped anchovy fillets
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
Fresh tomato and caper relish
- 4 egg tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp baby capers
- 15 basil leaves, torn
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1For rosemary vinaigrette, place olive oil, anchovies and garlic in a saucepan and cook over low heat until lukewarm. Whisk in vinegar, 1½ tbsp water, rosemary and bay leaves, then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until required. Makes about 200ml.
- 2For tomato and caper relish, combine tomatoes, onion, capers, basil and anchovy fillets in a bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste and toss to combine well.
- 3Half fill a wide saucepan with salted water and heat over low heat until 70C, add tuna and cook for 5 minutes, then remove tuna from pan, cool to room temperature. Cut into thin slices.
- 4Meanwhile, for filled eggplants, heat olive oil in a frying pan, add eggplant and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until soft and golden all over. Remove, drain on absorbent paper, then cut a pocket lengthways in each eggplant, leaving ends joined. Combine feta, parsley, lemon rind and allspice in a bowl, then divide stuffing among eggplant, place in a roasting pan and bake at 180C for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 5Place tuna, beans, rocket and pinenuts in bowl. Add enough rosemary vinaigrette to just coat, then season to taste and toss well to combine. Divide salad and filled eggplant among bowls, top with a spoonful of tomato and caper relish and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am