- 400 ml dried casarecce (see note)
- 90 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 thick pork and fennel sausages, skins removed
- 150 ml red wine
- 200 gm canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- ½ radicchio, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup oregano, plus extra leaves to serve (loosely packed)
- 2 tbsp aged red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 100 gm firm ricotta, coarsely crumbled
- To serve: finely grated parmesan
- 1Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (7-8 minutes), drain (reserve 40ml pasta water) and return pasta to pan.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and chilli and stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Add sausage meat, breaking into pieces with a wooden spoon, and stir occasionally until browned (3-4 minutes). Add wine, simmer until reduced by two-thirds (2-3 minutes), add tomato and simmer until reduced by half (2-3 minutes). Add to pasta with radicchio, oregano, vinegar and reserved pasta water. Stir to wilt radicchio, season generously to taste and stir in ricotta. Scatter with extra oregano and serve hot with grated parmesan.
Note If casarecce is not available, substitute strozzapreti.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am