Skip the beef for a light, summery vegetarian option.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- olive oil, For frying
- 600 gm piece of beef tenderloin
- roasted sesame seeds, To serve
Chilled soba salad
- 250 gm soba noodles
- 150 gm frozen peas
- 50 ml rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1Simmer soy sauce, honey, ginger, vinegar and garlic in a small saucepan until a glaze forms (1-2 minutes), then set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add beef and brown on all sides (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat, pat dry with paper towels, brush generously with soy glaze (you won’t use all of it), then place in freezer to chill (8-10 minutes).
- 3For the soba, cook soba according to packet instructions until al dente, adding peas in the last minute, then rinse under cold running water. Drain well, then combine in a bowl with vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, cucumber and spring onion. Toss to combine, then divide among bowls.
- 4To serve, thinly slice beef, pile on top of noodles and scatter with spring onion, sesame seeds and any remaining soy glaze to taste.