Choose ripe pears with just a little firmness. We like beurre Bosc or William Bartlett.
- 800 ml milk
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 50 gm semolina
- 20 gm butter
- To serve: coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 100 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 100 ml dessert wine
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1For caramel pears, melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add pears and icing sugar and cook, tossing occasionally, until pears are caramelised and tender (10-12 minutes). Deglaze pan with dessert wine, stir in juice and set aside.
- 2When pears are almost cooked, stir milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the simmer, add semolina in a steady stream and cook, whisking continuously, until thick and smooth (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat, whisk in butter, then serve pudding hot topped with caramel pears and their syrup and hazelnuts.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chefs' RecipesThe Agrarian Kitchen Eatery's Meyer lemon shaker pieYesterday 10:00pm