- 2 eggwhites
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp finely ground white pepper
- 600 gm skinless barramundi fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 100 ml olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 spring onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli bean sauce (see note)
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 10 small dried chillies, lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- To serve: steamed Chinese broccoli and steamed jasmine rice
- 1Whisk eggwhite, cornflour and pepper in a bowl to combine, season with salt to taste, add barramundi pieces and toss to coat.
- 2Heat 20ml oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add barramundi in batches and cook, turning carefully, until golden (1-2 minutes each side). Remove from pan and set aside.
- 3Add celery to pan and stir until just tender (1-2 minutes), then add spring onion and stir to combine. Add chilli bean sauce and stir until fragrant (1 minute). Add 375ml water, return fish to pan and simmer until tender (2-3 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add Sichuan peppercorns and chillies, stir to combine then add Shaoxing and soy sauce. Carefully pour onto fish (be careful, hot oil will spit). Serve hot with steamed Chinese broccoli and steamed jasmine rice.