We love the flavour hanger steak lends to a stir-fry. Many butchers stock it, as do grocers such as Harris Farm; if you can't find it substitute Scotch fillet.
- 300 gm piece of hanger steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 gm ginger, cut into julienne
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli bean paste
- 1 tbsp Sichuan chilli oil (see note)
- 1Combine beef and a third of the Shaoxing in a bowl and set aside. Heat oil in a wok until smoking, add beef and stir-fry until just starting to colour (1-2 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add ginger and peppercorns to wok and stir-fry until just fragrant (20-30 seconds), then add soy sauce, chilli bean paste, chilli oil and remaining Shaoxing, and stir-fry until just combined (1 minute). Return beef to wok, toss to combine, then serve on steamed rice and scatter with spring onions.
Note We used Lao Gan Ma Sichuan chilli oil, available from Asian supermarkets and grocers.