- 1/2 small Kent pumpkin, cut into 8 thin wedges, peeled
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped thyme, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 silverbeet stems, leaves coarsely sliced, stalks thinly sliced 2 garlic cloves, finely cho
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 litre hot vegetable or chicken stock (4 cups)
- 180 gm farro (see note)
- Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Place pumpkin on an
oven tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, scatter with
paprika and a quarter of the thyme, season to
taste and roast until tender and caramelised
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a saucepan
over medium-high heat, add onion, silverbeet
stalks, garlic, lemon rind and remaining thyme,
and sauté until just tender (2-3 minutes). Add
stock, farro and 250ml water, cover and bring to
the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer,
uncovered, until farro is tender (18-20 minutes).
Remove from heat, stir in silverbeet leaves to wilt,
add lemon juice and season to taste.
- 3Divide pumpkin among bowls, ladle in hot
broth and serve scattered with parsley and thyme.
Farro is available from select delicatessens. If it's unavailable, use pearl barley or brown rice.