- 450 gm ricotta
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk, plus 1 egg, lightly beaten, for eggwash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ bunch silverbeet, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 385 gm butter puff pastry (1 sheet; see note)
- 140 gm Fontina, coarsely grated
- To serve: green leaf salad
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Process ricotta, thyme, lemon rind and yolk in a food processor until smooth, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add silverbeet and sauté until starting to wilt (1-2 minutes), add garlic and 1 tbsp water, toss to combine. Cover with a lid and cook until tender (2-3 minutes), drain well in a colander, press to remove excess liquid and set aside.
- 3Place pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper and score with a sharp knife to mark out a 2cm border. Spread ricotta mixture within border, top with silverbeet mixture, scatter with Fontina and season to taste. Brush pastry edges with eggwash and bake until golden and cooked through (20-25 minutes). Serve with a green leaf salad.
We prefer to use Carême butter puff pastry, which comes in a pre-rolled 385gm sheet. If unavailable, substitute another good-quality butter puff pastry. Defrost before using.
This recipe is from the June 2010 issue of