- 800 gm jarrahdale or jap pumpkin, cut into 5mm-thick slices (about ¼)
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing (1/3 cup)
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 4 sirloin steaks (200gm each)
- 2 cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely torn
- 1 cup (loosely packed) oregano leaves
- To serve: horseradish or mustard
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Arrange pumpkin in a single layer on lightly oiled oven trays. Drizzle each with 2 tbsp of olive oil and vinegar, then scatter over brown sugar and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, turn and scatter over pepitas, then cook until pumpkin is golden and cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Brush steaks with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook for 3 minutes on each side for medium rare, or until cooked to your liking.
- 3Combine herbs, remaining olive oil and vinegar in a bowl, toss to combine and season to taste. Serve steaks with pumpkin and herbs and horseradish or mustard to the side.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm