- 4 beef sirloin steaks (about 200gm each), at room temperature
- 2 tbsp oregano, plus extra to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra to serve
- 4 vine-ripened or small oxheart tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 200 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100 gm firm ricotta, coarsely crumbled
Quick onion pickle
- 2 Spanish onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1Place steaks in a non-reactive oven dish and set aside. Pound oregano, garlic, lemon rind and 1 tsp sea salt in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste. Add lemon juice, oil and vinegar, season to taste, then pour mixture over steaks, turn steaks to coat and stand to marinate (20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for quick onion pickle, preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Lightly brush onion and barbecue with oil, then grill onion, turning occasionally, until tender and browned (3-4 minutes). Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients and set aside.
- 3Drain steaks from marinade and grill, turning once, until cooked to your liking (2-3 minutes each side for medium-rare) then set aside on serving plates to rest (5 minutes).
- 4Place tomato on plates, scatter with ricotta and extra oregano and drizzle with extra oil and vinegar to taste. Serve with steaks topped with quick onion pickle.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am