- 4 beef sirloin steaks (about 200gm each), at room temperature
- 2 tbsp oregano, plus extra to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra to serve
- 4 vine-ripened or small oxheart tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 200 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100 gm firm ricotta, coarsely crumbled
Quick onion pickle
- 2 Spanish onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1Place steaks in a non-reactive oven dish and set aside. Pound oregano, garlic, lemon rind and 1 tsp sea salt in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste. Add lemon juice, oil and vinegar, season to taste, then pour mixture over steaks, turn steaks to coat and stand to marinate (20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for quick onion pickle, preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Lightly brush onion and barbecue with oil, then grill onion, turning occasionally, until tender and browned (3-4 minutes). Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients and set aside.
- 3Drain steaks from marinade and grill, turning once, until cooked to your liking (2-3 minutes each side for medium-rare) then set aside on serving plates to rest (5 minutes).
- 4Place tomato on plates, scatter with ricotta and extra oregano and drizzle with extra oil and vinegar to taste. Serve with steaks topped with quick onion pickle.