- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- ½ green capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500 gm minced beef
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground chilli
- 300 ml tomato passata
- 200 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp each cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce
- To serve: soft bread rolls, grated vintage cheddar, pickles, finely sliced cos and potato chips
- 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, capsicum and garlic and fry, stirring occasionally, until translucent (4-5 minutes). Add minced beef and brown well, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon (3-4 minutes), then stir in sugar and chilli. Add passata and stock, season to taste and simmer until thickened and well flavoured (8-10 minutes). Stir in vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, check seasoning.
- 2Spoon meat into rolls, top with cheese, pickles and cos and serve with chips alongside.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm