- 250 gm soba noodles
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp mirin (see note)
- 150 gm sugarsnap peas, trimmed
- 100 gm frozen edamame
- 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
Quick pickled cucumber
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced widthways
- 50 ml each mirin and brown rice vinegar (see note)
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp tamari (see note)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1For quick pickled cucumber, combine ingredients in a small bowl, ensuring cucumber is covered by the liquid, and set aside until required.
- 2Meanwhile, bring 2 litres of water to the boil in a saucepan over high heat, add noodles, stir to combine, then bring to the boil. As soon as the water boils, add 250ml cold water and bring back to the boil. Repeat twice. Strain noodles, rinse under cold running water, drain well and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with sesame oil, add tamari and mirin and stir to combine well (this stops the noodles from sticking together).
- 3Blanch sugarsnap peas and edamame until tender (1-2 minutes), drain and refresh. Halve the sugarsnap peas lengthways, pod the edamame and add both to noodles along with coriander, spring onion and a little of the cucumber pickling liquid. Toss to combine and serve with quick pickled cucumber alongside.