- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 flank steaks (about 200gm each), at room temperature
- 8 white corn tacos
- To serve: coarsely crumbled feta, coriander sprigs and lime wedges
Black bean mole
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- ½ carrot, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and paprika
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 tsp finely chopped chipotle chillies in adobo (see note)
- 400 gm canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Dutch-process cocoa
- 1For black bean mole, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, carrot and garlic and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes), then add spices and stir until fragrant (30 seconds). Add remaining ingredients except cocoa, bring to the simmer and cook until thick and well flavoured (8-10 minutes). Discard bay leaf and cinnamon quill, stir in cocoa and season to taste.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, season steak and cook, turning once, until well browned and cooked to your liking (6-7 minutes for medium-rare). Set aside to rest for 5 minutes then thinly slice across the grain.
- 3Heat a frying pan over high heat and cook tacos, one at a time, turning once until soft and malleable (1 minute). Serve with black bean mole, sliced steak, feta, coriander and lime.
Note Chipotle chillies in adobo sauce are available in cans from select delicatessens.