Pork and pineapple are a perfect match for summer grilling. The soy glaze here cuts through the richness of the pork and sweetness of the pineapple. These are great with a frosty beer.
- 80 ml fresh pineapple juice (1/3 cup)
- 60 ml tomato sauce (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 garlic gloves, finely grated
- 2 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 800 gm pork shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces
- 450 gm ripe pineapple, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 3cm pieces
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 small slice ginger
- 400 gm jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1For coconut rice, bring coconut milk, ginger, 200ml water and 1 tsp salt to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and stir until it returns to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to very low and cook without uncovering until rice is tender (15 minutes). Remove from heat and stand without uncovering for 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine pineapple juice, tomato sauce, soy, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger and spices in a bowl. Add pork, season to taste and toss to coat. Thread pork onto skewers, alternating with pineapple and onion.
- 3Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to medium high heat and grill skewers, turning occasionally and basting with remaining marinade, until browned and cooked through (5-6 minutes). Serve hot with coconut rice, coriander and lime.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am