- 750 ml chicken stock (3 cups)
- 100 ml Shaoxing wine
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 3 star anise
- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts reserved separately
- 210 gm organic brown rice
- 100 gm shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1Bring stock, Shaoxing, soy sauce, ginger, star anise and chicken to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add garlic and the white part of the spring onions, and sauté until fragrant (2 minutes). Add rice and stir until lightly toasted. Ladle in 600ml of the poaching liquid, stir and bring to the boil. Cover and cook until rice is tender (10-12 minutes).
- 3Coarsely shred chicken and return to remaining poaching liquid with shiitakes and simmer over medium heat until mushrooms are cooked (1-2 minutes).
- 4Serve chicken and mushrooms on rice, ladle poaching liquid over, and top with sesame seeds, spring onion greens and sesame oil to taste.