- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 40 gm white sugar
- 25 ml each sake and rice vinegar
- 4 skinless ocean trout fillets (about 150gm each)
- 325 gm soba noodles
- 150 gm each sugar snap peas and snow peas
- 40 gm pea tendrils and leaves
- 4 green shallots, thinly sliced diagonally
- To serve: roasted sesame seeds
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 25 ml each mirin and rice vinegar
- 10 ml sesame oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Combine soy sauce, sugar, sake and rice vinegar in a small saucepan and simmer until reduced to a glaze (5-6 minutes). Place trout, skin-side down, on a baking paper-lined oven tray, brush thickly with glaze and bake until just pink (4-5 minutes), then break into chunks and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, cook soba noodles according to packet instructions, rinse under cold running water, divide among serving bowls and set aside.
- 3For sesame-ginger dressing, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- 4Blanch peas (1-2 minutes), then refresh. Drain, add to serving bowls, then add pea tendrils and leaves, shallot and trout pieces. Drizzle over sesame-ginger dressing, toss to combine and serve immediately scattered with sesame seeds.