This is a well-known Sicilian pasta dish that features two of the region's signature ingredients, eggplant and ricotta salata.
- 720 gm eggplant (about 2), thinly sliced widthways
- 250 ml (1 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm canned finely chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) tomato passata
- 500 gm dried spaghetti
- 2 cups (loosely packed) basil leaves, to serve
- 200 gm ricotta salata, coarsely grated, to serve
- 1Scatter 1 tsp fine sea salt over eggplant and set aside to drain bitter juices (10 minutes). Rinse and pat dry. Heat 125ml of oil over high heat, then fry eggplant in batches, adding 100ml extra oil as oil absorbs (5-10 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- 2Add remaining oil to saucepan, then add onion and garlic and sauté over high heat until starting to colour (5-10 minutes). Add tomato and passata and bring to the boil, then season to taste and remove from heat.
- 3Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain, then toss through tomato sauce and serve topped with eggplant, basil and ricotta salata.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am