Spaghetti con granchi
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 400gm cans cherry tomatoes (available from Italian delicatessens)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 25 gm peperoncino dried chillies, coarsely crushed (see note) (½ cup)
- 1 lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1.5 kg raw blue swimmer crabs (about 300gm each), halved and cleaned
- 500 gm spaghetti
- 1Heat ½ cup olive oil in a large saucepan, add garlic and chilli and stir continuously over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add cherry tomatoes, tomato paste and dried chillies and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add lemon rind and half the parsley, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Heat remaining olive oil in a large saucepan, add crabs and stir continuously over medium heat for 3 minutes or until shells change colour. Add tomato sauce and combine well. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 12 minutes or until crabs are cooked through.
- 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain. Return pasta to pan, add crab mixture and toss to combine, then season to taste. Transfer pasta to a large platter, scatter with remaining parsley and serve immediately.
Note Peperoncino chillies are hot, dried, small Italian chillies and are available from The Essential Ingredient. Substitute 1½ tbsp dried chilli flakes.
Drink Suggestion: NV Morris Sparkling Shiraz Durif.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm