This quick and simple dish relies heavily on the quality of the olive oil to produce good results.
- 220 gm spaghetti
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 fresh long red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 dried small red chilli, finely ground, optional
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 55 gm vongole (clams), soaked in cold water
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente, then drain.
- 2Meanwhile, heat half of the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add chillies and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is soft but not coloured. Add vongole and wine then cover and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes or until vongole just open. Discard any unopened shells then add the parsley and drained pasta and toss to combine well. Add remaining olive oil and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, combine, then divide among shallow bowls and serve immediately.