- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 500 gm cleaned calamari, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 400 gm dried spaghettini or 300gm fresh
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 70 gm (1 cup) coarse fresh sourdough crumbs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion and stir occasionally until onion starts to caramelise (10-15 minutes). Increase heat to high, add calamari, rosemary, garlic and chilli and toss occasionally until calamari is just cooked (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat, add lemon rind and juice and season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, for toasted crumbs, combine ingredients in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir until crisp (5-10 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Cook spaghettini in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain, reserving a little cooking water, toss with calamari and reserved water and mix until pasta is well coated. Serve hot, sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs, with lemon wedges to the side.