Serve this pasta hot from the pan, or cool it to room temperature for a fine pasta salad.
- 400 gm dried spaghettini
- Zested rind and juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 330 gm podded peas (about 500gm unpodded) or frozen peas, defrosted
- 60 ml dry white wine
- ½ cup each coarsely torn mint and flat-leaf parsley
- 100 gm ricotta
- To serve: finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1Cook pasta and lemon rind in a large saucepan of salted water until pasta is al dente (6-7 minutes), drain and return to pan.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 50ml olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion, garlic and chilli and sauté until tender (5-6 minutes). Add peas, wine and 60ml water, cover and cook until peas are just tender (1-2 minutes). Add to pasta with lemon juice and remaining olive oil, season to taste and toss to combine. Toss through herbs and serve with ricotta and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
This recipe is from the January 2010 issue of .