There's paella and then there are other simple Spanish rice dishes. This is one of the latter - a combination of prawns and chorizo with Spanish rice. We haven't peeled the prawns, but if you prefer them peeled for less mess, cook them a minute less.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 260 gm short-grain rice, such as Calasparra
- 180 gm fresh chorizo, sliced
- 12 prawns in the shell, legs removed
- 100 ml dry sherry or white wine
- 600 ml chicken stock
- Handful of coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Aïoli and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a wide sauté pan or casserole over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté until tender (4-6 minutes). Add garlic and saffron, stir until fragrant (10 seconds), then add rice and stir to coat. Add chorizo and prawns, deglaze pan with sherry, then add stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low-medium heat until rice is tender (10-12 minutes). Remove lid, cover with a tea towel and leave to steam for 5 minutes. Scatter with parsley and serve with aïoli and lemon wedges.
Note Calasparra is a short-grain Spanish rice available from select delicatessens; if it's unavailable, substitute another short-grain rice and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm