The earthiness of speck and cabbage with the sweetness of peas makes this the perfect soup to mark the transition from winter to spring.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 gm piece of speck, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 Dutch cream potatoes (about 300gm), cut into 5mm pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 litres (8 cups) hot chicken stock
- 300 gm Savoy cabbage (about ¼ cabbage), thinly sliced
- 300 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add speck and stir occasionally until golden (2-3 minutes). Add potato, onion and garlic, cover and stir occasionally until potato starts to soften (4-5 minutes). Add hot stock and simmer until potato is tender (15-20 minutes). Add cabbage and peas, simmer until bright green (1-2 minutes), then season to taste. Serve hot with crusty bread.
This recipe is from the September 2011 issue of .