No okra? No problem. Diced eggplant or even stir-fried cucumber would work well here.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 18 okra
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout (see note)
- ¼ tsp ground chilli
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 250 ml chicken stock, or water (1 cup)
- 8 eggs, at room temperature
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add okra and fry until golden brown all over (3-5 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Add ghee and onion to pan and fry until onion starts to caramelise (8-10 minutes). Add ras el hanout and ground chilli to pan, stir until fragrant (20 seconds), then add tomato and stir until mixture thickens a little (2 minutes). Add stock, bring to a simmer and cook over high heat until reduced by half (5-7 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, boil eggs in a large saucepan of boiling water until medium-boiled (7 minutes). Cool under cold running water, then peel, halve and add to sauce along with okra. Scatter withcoriander and serve with rice and lime wedges.
Note Ras el hanout, a Moroccan spice blend, is available at select delicatessens and online from herbies.com.au
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am