This dish makes a great shared appetiser served with grilled flatbread, or a side to grilled lamb or prawns. Some people are put off by the slimy texture of okra, but it's barely noticeable when it's stir-fried. If the okra is left whole it's even less sticky. Either way, we love it.
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp each cumin and coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
- ½ tsp each ground turmeric and garam masala
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 600 gm okra, halved lengthways
- 180 gm natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 1Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over high heat. Add mustard seeds and stir until they pop (10-20 seconds), then add remaining spices and ginger, and cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Add okra and stir occasionally until starting to turn golden and tender (4-6 minutes). Season to taste and serve with yoghurt scattered with coriander.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm