The addition of crème fraîche makes this soup super-smooth and velvety. Top with whatever herbs you have on hand - chives, parsley or chervil work well.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers rindless streaky bacon, thinly sliced
- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kernels from 3 corn cobs
- 850 ml hot chicken stock
- 50 gm crème fraîche, plus extra to serve
- Chervil and crusty bread, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and fry bacon until crisp (2-3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add butter, onion and garlic to pan and sauté until softened (3-4 minutes), then add corn kernels and stir until kernels are bright yellow (1-2 minutes). Add stock, cover partially with a lid and simmer until corn is tender (10-12 minutes). Add crème fraîche and blend with a hand-held blender until smooth (be careful, hot liquid may splash). Season to taste and serve topped with bacon, extra crème fraîche, chervil, and with crusty bread.