- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 kg fresh broad beans, podded, or 500gm packet frozen broad beans, thawed
- 200 gm sugarsnap peas, trimmed
- 750 gm cleaned squid tubes, cut into 8mm-thick slices
- ½ cup firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Combine olive oil, garlic, anchovies and chilli flakes in a small frying pan and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is light golden, then add vinegar and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Steam broad beans over a saucepan of simmering water for 3 minutes or until tender. Cool beans slightly, then peel and add to garlic mixture. Steam sugarsnap peas over a saucepan of simmering water for 3 minutes or until tender, then add to beans. Steam squid rings, in batches if necessary, over a saucepan of simmering water for 2-3 minutes or until just tender, then add to bean mixture. Add parsley and lemon juice, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well. Serve warm or at room temperature, divided among shallow bowls.
Drink Suggestion: A crisp, grassy young Hunter Valley semillon.