- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 550 gm cooked chat potatoes, cooled and quartered
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 4 250 gm fillet steaks (about 5cm-thick), brought to room temperature
- 40 gm black peppercorns, coarsely crushed in a mortar with a pestle (¼ cup)
- 40 ml brandy
- 80 ml white wine
- 60 gm Bowles Veal Glace (see note), combined with 60ml boiling water
- ½ cup double cream
- 200 gm baby green beans, topped
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthways and widthways
- 1Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add cooked potatoes and cook, tossing over high heat for 3 minutes, season to taste, add thyme sprigs, then transfer to the top shelf of a 180C oven and cook for 15 minutes or until golden.
- 2Meanwhile, brush steaks with 1 tbsp oil, then coat steaks with peppercorns on both sides. Heat a heavy-based ovenproof frying pan, add 2 tsp oil, then add steaks and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to 180C oven and cook for 8 minutes for medium rare or until cooked to your liking.
- 3Remove steaks from pan, season to taste and leave, loosely covered with foil, while making sauce. Return pan to heat, and when hot, add brandy. Taking care, tilt pan to ignite brandy, or if cooking with electricity, carefully ignite with a match to flame, then add wine and simmer until reduced by half. Add combined veal glace and water and simmer until reduced by half, add cream and bring to the boil, then season to taste with sea salt.
- 4Meanwhile, cook beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes, add zucchini and cook for another 3 minutes, then drain, toss with 1tsp olive oil and season to taste.
- 5Divide steaks, potatoes, and green beans and zucchini among plates, then pour a little sauce over each steak and serve immediately.
Note Bowles Veal Glace is a reduction of veal stock and is available from specialty food stores and some butchers, or substitute with 120ml rich veal or beef stock.
Drink Suggestion: A juicy, peppery shiraz from the northern Rhône or southern Victoria.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am