- 4 thin sirloin fillets (160gm-180gm each), at room temperature
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- A few large handfuls of frozen shoestring fries
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 200 gm butter, softened
- 2 tsp sweet paprika, or to taste
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1For paprika-anchovy butter, blend ingredients except herbs in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste, stir in herbs, then roll butter tightly in baking paper or plastic wrap to form a cylinder, twist the ends to seal and chill until needed.
- 2Season steaks and pound to 5mm thick.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 180°C. Deep-fry chips in batches until golden and crisp (4-6 minutes). Drain, then toss with a little salt and keep warm.
- 4Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Brown the fat on 2 steaks by rubbing it on the pan first, then fry steaks, moving them around the pan so they brown evenly, until well browned and cooked to your liking (1 1⁄2 minutes each side for medium-rare to medium). Cover with foil and rest. Repeat with remaining oil and steaks.
- 5Top steaks with pan juices and a round of paprika-anchovy butter and serve with fries.
Drink suggestion: Juicy young pinot or gamay. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.