- 4 small (about 400gm each) flounder, cleaned
- 2 cups firmly packed coriander leaves
- 3 green onions, cut into 5cm lengths and julienned
- 2 tbsp fried shallots
- 2 fresh long red chillies, seeded and julienned
- To serve: steamed rice
Shallot and chilli dressing
- 2 fresh small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 4 red shallots, roasted and peeled
- ½ cup lime juice, or to taste
- 1For shallot and chilli dressing, place chilli, ½ tsp salt, sugar and shallots in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound to a paste, then stir in lime juice.
- 2Place fish on a steamer tray in a fish kettle, pour in enough water to cover base of steamer to 1-2cm, bring to a simmer, then cover and steam fish for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Alternatively, place fish in a Chinese bamboo steamer over a wok of simmering water and steam, covered, for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- 3Combine coriander, green onions, fried shallots and chillies in a bowl, drizzle with enough dressing to coat and toss gently to combine.
- 4Divide fish among plates, top with shallot and chilli mixture, and serve with steamed rice, passed separately.
Drink Suggestion: A young Clare Valley riesling, full of ripe citrus notes.