- 1 kg rhubarb, trimmed and coarsely chopped (1 bunch)
- 500 gm golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (about 3)
- 220 gm granulated sugar (1 cup)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 500 gm chestnuts
- 20 gm unsalted butter
- 1 cup double cream
- 1Place rhubarb, apples, sugar and ¼ cup water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add cinnamon and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until well combined.
- 2Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut a cross in the end of each chestnut and place in a roasting pan. Roast at 220C for 5 minutes or until skin has softened, cool slightly, then carefully peel chestnuts while still warm.
- 3Heat butter in a large frying pan until foamy, add chestnuts and stir over medium-high heat, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- 4Serve stewed rhubarb and apple warm or at room temperature, with warm roasted chestnuts and spoonfuls of cream.