Pork neck also works well here in place of fillet.
- 2 tbsp Chinese roasted chilli paste (see note)
- 2 tbsp each soy sauce and Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 800 gm pork fillet, cut into 3cm dice
- 6 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
- For drizzling: olive oil
- 300 gm finely sliced Chinese cabbage
- 1½ nashi, thinly sliced and tossed in lemon juice to prevent discoloration
- 3 spring onion
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese roasted chilli paste
- 1For sticky chilli pork skewers, process chilli paste, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sugar, ginger and garlic in a small food processor to a paste, combine with pork in a bowl and stand to marinate (15 minutes). Drain from marinade and thread onto skewers alternating with spring onion, then drizzle with a little oil.
- 2Heat a frying pan or barbecue to medium-high, add skewers and turn occasionally, basting with remaining marinade, until glazed and cooked through (5-6 minutes), then set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, for nashi slaw, combine cabbage, nashi and spring onion in a bowl. Combine oil, vinegar, soy sauce and chilli paste in a separate bowl, drizzle over cabbage mixture, toss to coat and serve with sticky pork skewers.
Note Chinese roasted chilli paste is available from select Asian grocers.