This dish is super-fast and packs a bit of heat. Halve the number of chillies for a gentler adventure.
- 80 ml vegetable oil (⅓ cup)
- 4 eggs
- 4 small birdseye chillies, finely chopped, plus extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350 gm coarsely minced beef
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1½ tbsp kecap manis
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) Thai basil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Thinly sliced spring onion and torn coriander, to serve
- 1Heat 60ml oil in a large wok over high heat, reduce heat to medium and fry eggs one at a time, spooning some of the hot oil on top to cook the yolks evenly (1-2 minutes for soft yolks). Carefully transfer eggs to a warmed plate lined with paper towels, discard oil and wipe out wok.
- 2Heat remaining oil in wok over high heat, add chilli and garlic, stir-fry for 10-20 seconds, then add beef and stir-fry until browned (3-5 minutes). Add fish sauce, kecap manis and 1 tbsp water, toss to combine, then add half the Thai basil, toss to combine and drizzle with sesame oil. Serve stir-fried beef on steamed rice and top with a fried egg, and scattered with extra chilli, bean sprouts, spring onion, coriander and remaining basil.