- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets (about 200gm each), thinly sliced
- 185 ml (¾ cup) Shaoxing wine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 15 gm (3cm) piece of ginger, finely shredded
- 230 gm canned bamboo shoots, drained (see note)
- 350 gm mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and black fungi
- 2 green onions, cut into 5cm lengths, plus extra thinly sliced, to serve
- To serve: coriander leaves and steamed rice
- 1Combine chicken, Shaoxing and sauces in a bowl and set aside. Heat half the peanut oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant (10-20 seconds). Add bamboo shoots and mushrooms, stir-fry until just tender and transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add remaining oil to wok. Drain chicken (reserve sauce) and stir-fry with green onion until chicken turns opaque (1-2 minutes). Add reserved sauce and cook until sauce is bubbling (10-20 seconds), then return mushroom mixture to pan and toss to combine. Season to taste with freshly ground white pepper and serve immediately scattered with extra green onion and coriander leaves, and rice passed separately.
Canned bamboo shoots are available from Asian grocers.