We've served this simple dessert with a crumble of freeze-dried raspberries, available from select delicatessens, for a burst of flavour. Toasted almond flakes or pistachios would also be a nice addition.
- 500 gm strawberries (about 2 punnets), hulled and thinly sliced
- 100 ml Champagne or sparkling wine
- Juice of ½ orange
- 1-2 tbsp pure icing sugar, or to taste, sieved
- To serve: freeze-dried raspberries and shop-bought sablés or wafer biscuits
- 250 ml thickened cream
- 30 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1Combine strawberries, wine, orange juice and icing sugar in a bowl and mix well, then refrigerate to macerate (15 minutes).
- 2For crème Chantilly, whisk ingredients in a bowl until soft peaks form, then refrigerate until required.
- 3To serve, divide strawberry mixture among chilled glasses, spoon crème Chantilly on top, scatter with freeze-dried raspberries and serve with sablés or wafer biscuits.