- 80 gm pistachio nuts
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 175 gm plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) milk
- 125 gm melted butter, cooled briefly
- 2 eggs
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1⁄2 orange, plus extra rind to serve
- 250 gm sliced strawberries
- 1½ tbsp pure icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Basil (optional) and natural yoghurt, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter and flour eight 10cm-diameter cake tins or tart tins. Finely grind pistachio nuts in a blender, then transfer 50gm to a bowl (add 1⁄4 tsp sea salt to remaining pistachio nuts and reserve). Add sugar, flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt to the bowl and stir to combine. Whisk in milk, butter, eggs and orange rind until smooth. Divide mixture evenly among prepared tins and scatter with 100gm strawberries. Bake until golden brown and centres spring back when lightly pressed (15-18 minutes). Cool slightly in tins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cakes will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
- 2Combine remaining strawberries with icing sugar and orange juice in a bowl. Dust cakes with icing sugar, then top with strawberry mixture, scatter with orange rind, reserved pistachio nuts and basil, and serve with yoghurt.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm