The beauty of this soup is in its simplicity - use the ripest, most flavoursome tomatoes you can find and you'll be set. It's also excellent served chilled.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 kg very ripe large oxheart heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 sprigs each of basil and thyme, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1 buffalo mozzarella, coarsely torn, to serve
- 150 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Add tomatoes, cook until beginning to break down (3-4 minutes), then add stock, herb sprigs and 250ml water, bring to the boil and simmer until well flavoured (10-12 minutes). Remove herbs, stir in vinegar, season to taste and coarsely purée with a hand-held blender or in a food processor. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and extra herbs and drizzled with extra virgin-olive oil.